Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

Post subject: Peg & Groove floors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:10 pm 

I have a project in S.B. that is in a house built in the 1920's. The architect is concerned that the flooring is not of the era. This is a very elegant architecturally designed home and someone has put pegs in the plank flooring. The material is a wide plank Oak, would pegs have been something used architecturally at that time?

Post subject: Pegged floor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:52 pm 
Floormaster

Finewood,

Pedged and v-grooved oak plank was popular during the mid 1970's. About the time of the bicentennial in 1976 we did a lot of those in the New England area. I am not sure about Santa Barbara.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:40 pm 
What's under this floor? Can you determine anything by looking under a board?
Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:25 am 

Throughout N. CA, 5/16" v-grooved plank flooring has been used since the 20's. I've done many remodels and refinishing of older homes in Berkely and Oakland and the surrounding cities and towns that had beautiful old plank floors. Quarter sawn white oak seemed to be the prefered wood on the older homes. Some had plugs. Often on the older homes, the plugs were 1/2" diameter walnut doweling that is/was purely decorative. Just predrill 1/2" hole slighly below surface of subfloor and glue in walnut dowel rods and trim flush with a saw of your choice ( hand saw, Crain Super jamb saw, etc.) As Bill mentioned, in the 70's and 80's, plank floors with decorative plugs/pegs were very popular and I did lots of them at that time. Mostly in the 5/16" oak but sometimes in 3/4" as well. In the 80's, there was a period of time when 5/8" hex dowels were used instead of round. I guess the idea was you avoided having to glue as the old square peg in a round hole thing. Bang the dowel home, cut off and move on. Another approach seen occasionaly was the fake plugs. This is where a steel pipe with a sharpened end was used to punch an outline in the floor. Then the center of that circle was colored with black ink. Pretty ingenious until you went to resand. But as far as Santa Barbara concerned, I have never done floors in that area and could not say whether the floors fit that home's architecture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:24 am 

Thank you guys for your input.

Chris