Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:00 pm 

I am going to be sanding and staining some hickory floor with dura seal antique brown stain.I have sanded hickory before,but when you stain it it a dark color it always shows all of your buffer marks and edger marks really bad.This stuff is not as forgiving as oak.Any sugestions on how to sand and stain this.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm 

When staining, the sap wood will be similar to sanding maple so treat it the same way. Ric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:41 am 

I find that sanding very fine (to 120-grit) and then water-popping the floor works great. Search this site for water-popping - it has been written to death here. In my opinion, Bill Price's info is the most accurate on this subject. I think he even had a post on it in "Bill's Blog" (link at the top of this page).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:56 pm 

careful you can be arrested for staining hickory....natural all the way!
rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:43 pm 

i agree, hickory is beautiful as is, why stain? want dark go walnut er sumthin'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm 

hickory looks awesome stained...you natural guys make me laugh...i am kidding...but i have hickory in my house , i stained it and i wish it was darker...walnut is walnut to soft...i even stained walnut eng chestnut before...looked cool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:13 pm 

steve y wrote:
Hire a pro......

I am a pro...I was looking for some advice on techniques used.I think as Pros we all have been asked,or had to stain a wood that is difficult to do.If you dont have any intelligent input for this topic( wich you obviously dont)then sit back and let the PROS respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:21 pm 

steve g wrote:
hickory looks awesome stained...you natural guys make me laugh...i am kidding...but i have hickory in my house , i stained it and i wish it was darker...walnut is walnut to soft...i even stained walnut eng chestnut before...looked cool...

I personally dont think hickory looks good stained but its not my floor.The problem I have had in the past with staining hickory is screen and edger marks.I was thinking about using a rotary sander with 120 grit then follow up with 120 or 150 grit on the square buffer then popping grain then stain.I was hoping to hear what some of you guys are doing with stained hickory.I know nobody wants to answer on this because nobody wants to stain hickory,but sometimes we all have to do what we have to.If I forgot to metion the Hickory is Character grade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:27 pm 

Nice.

Stop with all the machines, that is the first step...

Work on edger skills or spend some time with scraper and hand sanding. pop and done.

If you dont screen you wont have those scratches to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:30 pm 

steve y wrote:
I'm sorry bad, you sounded like a DIYer and I thought that this was the standard answer to DIYers.........

Don't screen, hand sand your edges and water pop with a H2O/ Denatured Alcohol 50/50 mix......

No worry about the DIYer thought.I know what you mean about the hand sand,but thats alot of hand sanding.3000 feet to be exact.Use to do alot of hand sanding edges years ago,I try not to use that method anymore I need my arms to work for a few more years:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:12 pm 

steve g, I agree withh you completely. Hickory is absolutely beautifull stained. Apparantly some posters either do not know how to stain it or insist on natural jobs only. Unless you specifically use heart wood or sap wood, you get them both and it is very apparant with Hick. Hickory had several attributes to other wood species but if your problem is color it can easily be corrected with stain. Sometimes the posters here are very near sighted. Everything doesn't have to be natural and sometimes a certain species fits the needs except for color. We, as pro floor sanders, can easily tweak the color with stain. Who said only oak could be stained? Ric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:57 am 

i sanded hickory kinda like maple the finer the better...BM last cut w/120 and buff/screen w/150 nice and slow make the buffer sand...do not buff like a janitor on third shift...i did not water pop my floors but i should have and it wouldn't have been because of screen lines , i wanted it more uniform and darker...
orbital the edges with 80 grit...don't hand sand...BM...40 grit...80...120...screen 150...water pop...stain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:30 pm 

i think i may haveonly stained one hikory, but i sanded to 100g, the double sided 100g, then screened 120g, water popped, drifast early american, then traffic. came out one of my best with the inlay and such i did. i still use it to show

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:02 pm 

It is a trendy thing right know in my area, I have stained them english chestnut and provincial in the past month. I sand them the same as i would prepare oak for stain and then water pop. turn out perfect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:12 pm 

I also vote for the water popping but would also suggest that you work the edges with a Festool random orbital sander as a final prep to deal with edger scratches. My nickname for the Festool is "the eraser".