Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:24 am 

Dave:

Found this pic on your site and I think it's very unique. Not too crazy about the medallion with the end grain logs, but it does offer a cool rustic look. Planning on an addition to my mountain home and I am seriously considering this look for my foyer.

Can you explain the procedure a bit? I can see how it would be laid out but what about things like thickness of end cuts, log drying time, source? Any old logs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:17 am 

Wow, I like that. I am not an expert on end-grain floors and I've never laid such a floor. With that said, this is what I think:

The fish-scale arrangement would allow you to get rid of the inevitable monster splits. Obviously it is a glue-down. The wood looks like pine - nice and uniformly round. I'll bet the cookies are 3/4" thick. I would just slice the green logs in 1" cookies with a suitable sized chainsaw leaving the bark intact. Practice makes perfect. Either lay them out to dry in a hot attic for until their moisture content is the same or drier as the house it is going in or take them to a kiln. Cut a lot extra. Then run them through a planer to get them down to 3/4". (It is a lot of work to reduce it 1/4" - you may be able to get away with less planing with pine. I have only planed down hardwood cookies.) Pay attention to the direction the crack as you feed them in. I think the crack has to be on the tail end of the cookie or it will break big chunks off. Each time you run a cookie through, flip it over. After a few times, it will be flat. I think I would edge the bark off the scrap with 60-grit and save the dust to make filler to flood-fill the floor with just before the final sanding. I'm pretty sure that after a year or so it will crown/cup/etc. to look like the photo. This cut will not be totally stable. Stable end-grain floors are made with slices of kiln-dried lumber in small dimensions (like 2"x4"). I've noticed even 4"x4"s cracking.

I've long wanted to integrate whole branches/logs into floors, but I haven't had opportunity yet. Good luck. I hope somebody with real experience with these floors will respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:16 am 

Ken the process is this first there from Goodwin Heartpine..and they sawed them to 3/4 they varied in thickness they need too dry out for a month first then you dry lay and cut them into each other until you reach your stopping points then you attach small strips of wood bandages to hold and keep them together...

After this step you need too section off the attached portions in quarters so that you can pull them up and spread glue for that section..then lay that section down into your glue at this point you want to take a rubber mallet and smash them into the glue getting the rounds to sit as flat as possible 1/4 notch trowel for a lot of glue..when this happens the logs will fracture and spiderweb themselves giving you a look of aged installation..

You cannot run this material through a planner it will destroy the planner..I left the bark on then drum sanded the floor with open coat to start to flatten the floor out this will be long and hard you will find out..after the floor is flat trowel it with Timbermate ebony fill..now here ..dmcomes the messy part the dust will fly everywhere so hang plastic on walls and everywhere....once this is acomplished sand to finer..

The end grain logs around the inlay are sugar pine I found up in Bigbear lake and where cut on my resaw band saw...

Let them dry out for a month as I mention before starting HOPE this gets you started

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:28 am 
Hi Dave, Good to see you are doing well. Do you have any work for me in New Mexico? Im booked through August and then Im looking for a change scene. t-mite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:49 pm 

T - mite when i m there i just build inlays and fish your welcome to hang I have 5 bedrooms so let me know will hit the water while your out I have stuff up there in the works but nothing im ready for...nice too hear from you ill call you tomarrow...dm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:37 am 

Dave:

Plenty to get me started. Probably won't happen until next spring. Thanks for all the comments guys.