Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:11 am 

I have to water pop a large open area tomorrow and stain with Antique Brown/Ebony the following day. I have always done this by sponge, rags, hands and knees. I tried buffing stain on once with no luck. Anyway, I see no reason why I can't just pretend I am applying a water base finish and pop the grain with a paint pad to cut in and a heavy 18" T-bar for the field. I feel if I take 9-12" laps and don't snowplow a puddle off the end of the T-bar I'll be fine. If necessary, my helper can lightly drag a towel wrapped broom immediately behind me to drag out or soak up any excess water. Anyone ever done it like this??? Secondly, do you think I could apply the stain in the same manner and then rag off the edges and buff off the field with a white 3M pad??? This is an American Walnut floor. Please give my your thoughts. Ric

Post subject: Water pop t-bar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:19 am 

I do it all the time. Same thing about 5 years ago, big job, didn't want to wipe on/off. T-barred in the same manner as I apply finish, cutting in with a damp rag, being a little liberal with the water. Overnight dry, awesome results, no lapping, spotting, etc. The overnight dry is critical, put a good amount of water on and let it do what its supposed to do. Too many guys out there are rushing that part of the process and getting poor results. Buff in the stain, burnish down the grain raise, and voila, great stain job!

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:12 pm 

Location: The Oak Floors of Marco....Los Gatos, CA 408-353-4882 www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com
You could use a garden sprayer and not have to worry about too much water on bare wood. I do it twice now after a problem with spots, once in each direction. Does not require an overnight dry time in my climate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:04 pm 

What was your procedure buffing the stain? I can't imagine doing it any other way now.

My procedure is simple and works!

Cut in the edges with a terry towel and wipe dry. Pour 1/2 cup of stain on the floor and use a new white pad to spread the stain. Continue to add stain when needed and then place 2 terry towels under the pad and buff the stain dry. I do about 4 feet at a time going with the grain. Can't get any easier than that, and it works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:10 pm 

I use a garden sprayer all the time. I prefer to let it dry overnight, but when pressed for time have water popped and stained in the same day.
But do whatever works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 pm 

I use denatured alcohol in a garden sprayer if I want to stain the same day and always buff the stain. Not quite as dark as water pop is on oak anyway. hate to see anyone stain walnut is there a lot of light colored sap wood?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:10 pm 

I just popped 1300 ft with a padco applicater and 5 gallon bucket dip it and go --cut in with it also --works great . when your down on your hands and knees you scuff the wood with the toes of your boots or knee pad and dont see it until the stain dries --i buff with a rug until its consistant and thats it . I dont buff on and then buff off --with the rug it seems to give it a nice rubbed look . I always use minwax stains --anyone use bona dri fast stains --the colors seem so much lighter if buffed on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:02 pm 

When going with a garden sprayer, use 50% water, botteled perfered, and 50% denatured alcohol. The alcohol will help it dry faster, also less bleed back from open grained pieces of oak..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 pm 

I do cut the alcohol with water most of the time