Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:50 pm 

Hi again. We have been getting a few estimates now from hardwood flooring installers. Is it required that they have a home improvement contractor's license (I live in Maryland)? I wouldn't have thought of it, but one contractor had a license number on his card. The other gentleman didn't have a card, but he gave me a very good price and seemed knowledgable. Should I be concerned if he isn't licensed, or is it not really necesary for this type of work (not being structural, or electrical, etc?) By the way, I found a fantastic deal on the flooring I need (to match my existing Bruce flooring) on the internet, so they both suggested I just buy it direct, so I will only be paying for their labor.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:50 pm 

get some references if your worried about the contractor.

Post subject: LICENSE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:59 pm 

In Michigan you need a license installs need a builders license or a carpenters license sanding and finishing requires a builders license or a painting and decorating license https://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/colaLicVerify/lSearch.jsp

Thanks
Bill Deskins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:41 pm 

you don't take a test i would assume. just show up at your local money takers ,say who you are name and address give money and ...your licenced!!
rick

Post subject: License
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:30 pm 

Typically here all floor contractors are licensed and bonded. It's no guarantee on the quality of work. Like Custom mentioned I too would get some references from those your interested in. Here's a great quote we saw on the back of a dump truck for Precision Paving (go figure)
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Best regards,
Doug Klewin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:47 pm 

Like Doug, out here in AZ we are tested and pay into a recovery fund. That fund will pay for your floor redo if the contractor cannot fix it or goes belly up. This guarantees you will get your job done one way or another.

Unlicensed guys can just walk away and you have to take them to court on your own account and the ROC (registrar of contractors) will say to you tough luck. Plus unlicensed contractors and hanymen are limited to $1000.00 per job (including labor and materials) and the job cannot be split otherwise they can be fined and sent to jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:25 am 

In Ct no contractors license, = no obligation for the homeowner to pay.

However what’s important is a certificate of liability insurance and workers comp.
Without workers comp if some flunky gets injured on your job site you are liable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:09 am 

Don't know anything about the regs in Maryland.

However, in NYC you need a simple business license and also a home improvement contractor's license from the Department of Consumer Affairs. If you operate alone, then you may need two licenses (especially if you also have a showroom) ...one is for you as a salesperson and the other is for you as a home improvement contractor.

Otherwise...bad news if you're ever caught in the field without a license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am 

If there is a licensing law, why try to go around the laws put in place, for a reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:58 pm 

Fun,

In MD you do need one. We have to get one each year. But we get them in all the states around Delaware. You do not have to show it on the Van Truck or on Card like some other trade do. All because he did show or tell you the number doesn't mean they don't have one. The only time that we show it is when a home owner asks for it. You can call the state and ask them if they have one. If they don't DO NOT HIRE THEM.
Jeff