Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

Post subject: poly air bubbles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:47 pm 

I've just finished applying a first coat of Parks Oil Poly. We apllied as thinly as possible, just glazing over/into the floor. We didn't pour directly on the floor, instead we put the poly in pans and dipped our lambswool applicator. We now have very fine air bubbles. The Parks rep said we may not need to sand if we apply it thinly between coats. Any advice on applying poly without bubbles? Manny thanks, Peter

Post subject: poly bubbles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:39 pm 

Peter,
I just finished a job three day ago with Parks. I apply a thin roller coat, and it did some bubbling, but in 5 minutes it settled down and was smooth. Keep the room temp warm and ventilate well. I always abrade between coats, I get a much clean sharper looking finish for omu.
Good luck
Paul

Post subject: Too much
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:55 pm 
Peter:
From my experience a lambswool may have applied the finish a little too thick. As a result, you can get air bubbles. Perhaps what the rep was referring to was thin coats using a BRUSH or SPONGE BRUSH.
I use Parks with success, so I doubt that it's the product. Believe me, when I've had a problem, 99% of the time it was from human error . . . MINE!
Does what I say apply to your situation?
Charlie

Post subject: BUBBLES IN OIL POLY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:30 pm 

Thank you for the informative replies. We are not professionals but my wife and I really want to do a nice job on our new wide-plank white pine floors.
Charlie, I think you may be right that the lambswood applicator may apply the poly too thick. A brush seems really tedious but we will do it if it's the only way to avoid bubbles. Is there any way to use a lambswool applicator and have it go on nicely. I read that you are not suppose to "work" the poly to much but when we pulled it out a lot and passed over it lightly 3 or 4 times it really seemed to diminish the bubbles so that is how we applied the first coat. We are going to go back and check to see if the first coat of poly dried yet and if the bubbles settled or not not. If not, we are probably going to screen one of the three coats but here is my question - should we screen after the first coat (I'm afraid of removing too much finish or some of the stain coat) or put on the second coat directly over the first, see how it looks and then maybe screen after the second coat before the third and final coat? I am hoping we don't have to screen between every coat. I haved friends that used water-based poly and got no bubbles and didn't have to screen between coats and it looks nice (not smooth like glasss, but really nice).
Important - how long do you wait in between coats when using Parks oil poly before putting on the next coat or screening the most recently applied coat?
To everyone - thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.
Regards, Peter

Post subject: bubbles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:21 am 

Peter,
Waterbased poly need not be abraded between each coat if multi coats are applied in the same day and within a time window of about 6 hours. Abrading will give a much cleaner looking finish in some cases. Oil modified should be abraded between coats, and in most cases an over night dry is required. You may find it will work with less time, however usually 15-18 hours in good drying conditions 70+ degrees and less than 50 % relative humidity. These are generic suggestions for all polys.
Good luck
Paul

Post subject: BUBBLES IN POLY
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:38 pm 

We just checked it out and the bubbles seem to have leveled out by the time the poly dried so we are going to put the second coat on and see what happens.
Peter