Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

Post subject: Diamabrush
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:16 pm 

Took a job as a favor without seeing it first. Got to the job and was staring at 550 square feet of 1/16" black foamy glue on an old pine floor. It was a tight schedule and working solo. I called Malish and was getting an on site demonstration within two hours of call. I had all the black stuff off and started sanding in 4 hours (that included clean up). Tool worked incredibly well for this situation and saved me.

Couple of other thoughts on this tool:
1. Incredibly good customer service in getting me a product right away. Don't expect the rep to know what we do though because this was just one of many products he sold including window cleaners. He said I will probably just need to screen the floor when I was done. No way. It needed to be sanded starting with at least 40 grit on big machine.
2. Replacement blades are expensive. $200+. Not a big deal if you charge accordingly and realize how much time and belts you save. The blades can be flipped over to get two uses out of them. I got about 400 square feet out of one side.

Overall, definitely worth the $398 dollar investment for these situations. I am going to be using it again on another job I have booked in a month.

Post subject: Re: Diamabrush
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:59 pm 

Pore:

I, too, had good experience with it. I used it on troweled commercial carpet adhesive on oak. I have a video somewhere.

Charlie in Cowboy Country

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:44 am 

Yes, the Diamabrush tool is awesome. Mike at Diamabrush called it a rescue tool. It certainly rescued us on the job we used it on. If you search Youtube for 50323floor you'll find video of us removing 1/32 - 1/16 thick wax. We were able to go straight to 80 grit belt after the dimabrush on Brazilian cherry.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:25 pm 

Can you rent a Dimabrush.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:53 pm 

Hey everyone - my name is Mike and I'm one of the owners of Diamabrush. I was directed here from Patrick Lynch from Lynch Brothers as a great forum for Hardwood professionals and have since been following some of the discussions regarding our Hardwood Removal Tool. It seems like a very solid group of knowledgable professionals. I noticed some questions on the board and figured I would join the forum and make myself available to answer any questions anybody may have.

Just a quick overview - our Hardwood Tool is really rescue tool of sorts that works excellent on removing difficult coatings such as glues, wax, gummy urethanes and most importantly - it does a very nice job removing aluminum oxide coatings on pre-finished floors. It may not be needed on every single job but it will come in very handy on certain jobs and may provide a contractor an opportunity to take on a job they might otherwise pass on. You WILL still need to sand the floor with additional grits - starting possibly as low as 40 grit and moving through your progression, but it will save you lots of time and paper in the removal phase. As of now the tool is not available to rent but we are working on partnering with some rental companies to offer that option - sorry about that. I will keep the board up to date as to when rental is available.

We really appreciate your interest in our products and please feel free to contact me with any specific questions on our tools or if you would like to know where you can get one. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:56 am 

Hey Mike,

Welcome on board. Would you please leave your contact info so? Thanks.

John

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:51 am 

Welcolme aboard Mike, thats a coincidence because I was emailing Kevin in your office on 6th May and also mentioned the good PR you were getting on this site. Hopefuly you will be willing to supply me in Ireland.

Terry

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm 

My email is mike@diamabrush.com. And yes - we can supply in Ireland. Thanks for all the interest and please let me know if you or anyone else has any questions.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:30 pm 

I have a question.

Charlie in Arizona

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:02 am 

Hi Mike,

Busy this week will contact you next week.

Thanks,

Terry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:12 am 

About 2 months ago, I had this 150 year old house. Client came to me in the middle of the job and asked me if I could sand a small room about 8 x 10 upstairs. Sure I says. When I get up there with my small Clarke sander, I am looking at a floor that has 150 years of wax. About 15 belts and 2 hours later we get it down to see the wood. Luckily we saved some old 24 grit belts so it didn't cost too much.

I read the post about the diamabrush and figured what the hey. Bought it. Yesterday, I am doing a house with the same mess, This time about 500 sq ft. Stick that puppy on my buffer and away I go. Very little dust but lots of wax balls ripping right out of there. I have most of the wax gone within a couple of hours. Sanding at 40 grit got the scratches and the rest of the wax up. Considering the time and belt savings, I am ahead of the game about 20 hours and at least 50 belts.

All that was left was about 5 inches of edging. Went through quite a bit of edger paper but still not too bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:04 am 

To save some edging, try going against the grain on light pressure with the floor sander. This will remove some top crap and save edger paper.